Sunday, August 28, 2011

My First Week At Howard

I think being at Howard will be a learning experience for me. Attending my first week of classes has shown me that I will need effective time management skills to juggle classes, homework, free time, and food! I never really had to decide for myself when to eat lunch or dinner. It's a little empowering almost because I get to decide when I feed myself. At the same time, It gets weird and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm sort of a sheltered, spoiled kid, so having all this independence is definately a shock.

Freshman week was extremely intimidating. There were so many new poeple and I get nervous around new people. Fortunately, practically everyone at Howard is welcoming and made me feel at ease. My first expectation of Howard was that it was going to be ghetto, with rude and disrespectful students. I was pleasently surprised to see that Howard and its students are far from it. As a matter of fact, its comforting to be around so many fellow African-Americans with ambitions to better their education and their lives. Just walking in the triumphant atmosphere of this university, gives me an apetite to do the same. I think that is what I love most about this place. Its that being here makes me want to do great things. Aside from the imidiate culture shock, this past week has been one of development, awakening, and inspiration. I beilieve I'm ready to take on what this university has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment