Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Real HU

When I first came to Howard I knew my goals and I thought finally here's somewhere where people were driven and dedicated about their school work just like me. During my two weeks I discovered why Howard University was the Real HU! I knew a little about Howard because my sister attended when I was first born. All she does is talk about HU and how the school impacted her life. She told me it was the best decision she made and the place where she met most of her current close friends at. She said Howard was a great place for networking and an great education.
I was frustrated during my last year of high school because only a select few students really cared about being there and were goal driven like me. When I arrived on campus it was like something totally different. I saw people from all different states and countries. The fashions were so diverse.I was a little scared because I didn't know anyone here. I was the only one from my school to come. Even being a social person, it was still a little scary talking to new people. After a few days, I was making friends quickly and always talking to new people. I became close to my roommate and suite mates. I almost feel like I have known them for a longtime. I was nervous at first about classes because I didn't know what to expect. Of course the load was more, but it could be done.
I love the freedom. I finally get to do what I want when I want. I thought Freshman Week was a lot of fun and really helped me get adjusted to college life. Campus Pals Program also helped because I had my campus pal's number before arriving on campus. So I had someone I could ask questions and contact about HU. When classes began, I felt like I had been going to classes at Howard for months.
When I first walked into Freshman Seminar I thought "this is a lot of people". I didn't know what to expect from the class, I didn't really even know what it was about. After the introduction of the class, I realized that the class was a lot more in depth then I thought. I think that this class will help me in my education because it will help me develop character and give me a better understanding of my self and my responsibility as an African-American and to the community. I know that I'm a little bit bugged about groups and projects because I like working alone. I work well with groups, I just prefer to work by myself. I will see how the group will go.
Most of my expectations of Howard was met. I know that I will get a excellent education here and I love the atmosphere. Of course there were a few disappointments about organization and administration: problems scheduling classes, not knowing who my roommate was before arriving, long wait periods to get things done ect... I also had a few surprises with the earthquake and tropical storm from Hurricane Irene. Whew, what a week!
I believe I made the right choice by coming to Howard University and Im proud to be a part of its legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment