Saturday, September 3, 2011

For Public Use

"What you think belongs to you, what you say belongs to the public."(Carr)- This is the statement that stayed with me after Dr. Carr's lecture. this statement sums up the basic concept that was presented that day, and that was the concept of learning and the Mbongi. Upon first hearing this word I was struck with the curiosity of what it meant. By definition, a Mbongi is "both a physical and intellectual space or common shelter which constitutes many traditional African functions law and order, cultural education, maintenance of social and political life, conflict resolution, the council of elders, and more". (Carr)

So after thinking more about more, I realized that most of the groups that we congregate in and the activities that we participate in involve us also partaking in a Mbongi. After reviewing the different activates i do, it amazed me the many different Mbongis that are around us everyday. Everywhere you go there are Mbongis, from the groups of men and women that congregate in barbershops and hair salons to young people that gather together for study groups to just coming together to have a family talk, they all embody what Mbongi is. All of Howard University is a Mbongi! A Mbongi  "cuts" through problems to the solution, it provides shelter and protection, it puts together, and it heals.

All this is great, but I still wondered, "Why are Mbongis important?"

I realizes they're important because the provide for a central space for intellectual thought and work. Only when we begin to work and to generate intellectual thoughts together as a people do we really do we really achieve great heights. It then builds an institution which is important to have because then you have a foundation, and without a strong foundation your works will crumble.

After listening to Dr. Carr's lecture I see that I am in a position to learn more everyday and also to learn more about my roots to Africa. Learning more about my roots will, in turn, connect me with my African brilliance.      

No comments:

Post a Comment