Sunday, October 2, 2011

Best and the Brightest

1).What can and will you do to be a part of the “best and brightest” of Howard.

To be among the “best and brightest” of Howard University I plan to first set high expectations for myself as a Howard student. In doing this I will have a focus, be motivated and have strong goals set before me. To be the best one must know what it is to be the best. And I believe to be this means I should be a hard worker, be aware of who I am as a person and like Dr. Thornton said, “Prepare yourself [myself] to lead.” Dr. Thornton also said to be the best, study, be surrounded by good friends and make yourself special.

2).What does it mean to be a citizen of the world? How does your citizenship in the nation inform your world citizenry?

To be a citizen of the world you for one, strive for the “continuation of this society”- Dr. Thornton. In continuing this society one must think for the higher learning of all people. According to Dr. Thornton Howard University has given its students the constitutional right of citizenship. As a community, everyone is entitled to become united and work together as one whole. My citizenship in the nation informs my world citizenry by giving me a voice.

3). Identify a representative thinker of Howard. How does that figure's life work inspire you to "till and turn over the soil" which, as Dr Thornton noted, is expected of each Howard student.

One representative thinker of Howard is Dr. Wright. Based on Dr. Wright’s experience as a youth growing up during the Civil Rights Movement, opportunities were not handed to them by society. Despite this the Howard University students during this time created opportunities for themselves by establishing committees, rising together, and organizing protests. This inspires me to create and take advantage of opportunities. By doing this I can “till and turn over the soil” and become a better scholar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment