Sunday, October 16, 2011

You cannot be One-Sided

When I walked in the room the first thing I said was "yes, powerpoint." I'm a visual learner and I like to listen and look at what I'm being taught. Dr. Williams did an excellent job of breaking everything down. She broke down the research question like never before and took us step by step in Research and Methodology. I never learned a step-process for it before. I found it interesting when she was talking about Dr. Cobb and explained that "not sticking to one discipline allows one to be transformative" (Dr. Williams). This statement made total sense to me because I tend to make sure I 'm able to argue both sides in an essay in which I only have to pick one side. People would be more willing to agree with your opinion if you could argue the other side as well. Just like in writing, you cannot be one-sided in society. You cannot transform or move knowledge along when defending one side or one race. Dr. Williams also got me thinking about am I finding the connection between the lectures and is the purpose of the lecture being fulfilled? Was I ready to embark on the research project? I thought about how to make sense of the research question after it was broken down; so I rewrote the question for my personal benefit.
The original research question:
How have scholars across the various fields of study advanced and transformed academic knowledge related to enduring problems of the human condition?

My interpretation after the lecture:
How have scholars across different branches of knowledge moved along or changed the accepted body of knowledge from other scholars corresponding to the continuing social, cultural and personal problems related to the experiences of being human?
So now the research question is understandable, simple and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment